In all my years of slinging food experiments at my kids with the aim to have them ingest nutritious ingredients, rather than eat what I call, 'packet crap', this recipe has got to be one of the biggest successes (am I building this up?). This homemade museli bar slice is literally packed with a great combination of seeds, nuts, dried fruit and protein using our be. Health pure or vanilla collagen. It makes approximately 24 pieces and lasts up to a week in the fridge. Once you have the base ingredients you can also swap out the nuts and fruit for others you prefer or have lying around.
1 cup of puffed rice
1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1/2 cup of sesame seeds
1/2 cup of toasted coconut
1/2 cup whole almonds chopped
1/2 cup whole walnuts chopped
1/2 cup sultanas chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries chopped
1/2 cup tahini
1/2 cup runny honey
1/2 cup golden syrup
1/2 cup LSA*
2 heaped tablespoons of be. Health Pure or Vanilla Collagen powder
500 gm dark chocolate chopped
2 tablespoons of coconut oil for melting the chocolate
*LSA is a combination of ground linseed (flaxseed), sunflower seeds and almond meal. Is is available from health food stores or the health food isle in the supermarket.
**Gluten Free, Dairy Free
- Preheat the oven to 100 degrees Celsius and place puffed rice, seeds, coconut, nuts and chopped dried fruit on a lined baking tray. Pour tahini, honey and golden syrup in separate ramekins and place in the oven, along with the dry ingredients and bake for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the warm dry ingredients into a large bowl then pour in the warmed syrups. Mix well then add in the LSA and be. Health collagen powder to bind the ingredients together.
- Spray and line a slice tin with greaseproof paper and pour the mixture into the tin, spreading evening. I find using a large metal spoon dipped in water helps to spread and press the mixture into the four corners of the tin.
- Place in the fridge for approximately 30 min.
- Melt the dark chocolate with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in the microwave, then poor the melted chocolate over the museli slice, and return to the fridge for a minimum of one hour to set.
- Once set, remove from the fridge and cut up into bars or squares. Store in the fridge in an airtight container.