This is a zesty, zingy favourite reimagined from the school fete, using our be. Health Collagen Supplement. You can make these as a gluten free or vegan alternative with the biggest problem, trying to stop at one! Makes roughly 12 - 15 slices or 10 if you get in before the kids get home from school.
- 1 Pack of regular or gluten free, vegan digestive biscuits
- 1 Cup of desiccated coconut
- 2 Heaped tablespoons of be. Health Collagen Powder (either Pure or Vanilla)
- 100 gm melted organic butter or 1 cup melted coconut oil (vegan alternative)
- Zest of 1.5 lemons (juice and reserve for icing)
- 1.5 Cups of monk fruit* icing (found in regular supermarkets with sugar alternative products)
- 1 Tablespoon be. Health Collagen (Pure or Vanilla)
- Reserved lemon juice
Line a rectangular slice tin with parchment/greaseproof paper ensuring plenty of over-hang on each long side of the tin.
For the biscuit base pulse the digestive biscuits in a food processor until it becomes a fine crumb, then pour into a medium sized bowl.
Add coconut, be. Health collagen powder, lemon zest and either melted butter or coconut oil and combine with the biscuit crumb until it all comes together.
Press the biscuit mixture evenly into the prepared tin, and place in the refrigerator to cool for 15 minutes.
For the icing layer, place monk fruit icing, be. Health Collagen and reserved lemon juice in a bowl and whisk to combine into a runny consistency and remove any lumps.
Remove the biscuit base from the fridge and pour the icing layer over the top, then tilt the tray to enable the icing to run over the whole base.
Sprinkle with additional coconut as desired and pop back into the fridge for at least 1 hour.
Remove from fridge, and lift the sides of parchment to help remove the slice on to a chopping board.
Cut to desired squares or bars and store in the fridge in an air tight container. Keeps up to two weeks.
*A monk fruit sweetener has several benefits when compared with sugar: Monk fruit extract contains no calories and zero carbohydrates.
Tip: For non-vegans whisk 50gm of softened butter to the icing mixture for a thicker, creamier icing layer.